How Do I Know When my SmartChlor® Cartridge is Empty?
- The FROG® @ease® Test Strip Out Indicator on the back of the Test Strip Bottle indicates if the SmartChlor cartridge is empty:
- When the test strip color is lighter than the single-color image on the bottle, it’s time to replace the SmartChlor Cartridge.
- If you think the SmartChlor cartridge may be empty, remove it from the system, drain all the water and shake the cartridge. If you don’t hear any ingredients inside, it’s empty – it’s time to replace it. If not, put it back in and test the water again in a few days
How do I Adjust the SmartChlor® Cartridge and When?
Set the FROG® @ease® SmartChlor® Cartridge to the setting that matches your hot tub model number.
The dial is on the bottom of the silver SmartChlor cartridge, twist it up or down.
Once set, the SmartChlor Cartridge will maintain a low 0.5 to1.0 ppm chlorine level as long as the pH stays within 7.2 and 7.8.
When to adjust:
Because SmartChlor self-regulates at a low 0.5 to 1.0 ppm turning up the dial will only result in building up the reserve faster. Therefore, it is rare that you would need to increase the setting.
If you feel the SmartChlor cartridge is dispensing too quickly:
- Try lowering the setting number by one
- Decrease your hot tub’s circulation time
- Free chlorine will always remain at 0.5 to 1.0 ppm, by decreasing the dial you are slowing the buildup of the reserve
How is SmartChlor different than standard chlorine?
The most common chlorine used in hot tubs
A unique form of chlorine that works only with FROG minerals
|Dissolves quickly||Dissolves slowly even in hot water|
|Used up immediately as contaminants enter the water and has no reserve||Creates a reserve of chlorine that converts to free chlorine when contaminants enter the hot tub|
|Free chlorine level drops significantly under demand, more dichlor must be added to keep up with the demand – it’s a yo-yo effect||Self-regulates; it maintains a consistent 0.5 to 1.0 free chlorine level in the hot tub for the life the cartridge|
|Must maintain industry standards of 2 – 4 ppm||Reduces overall chlorine use up to 75%* by only needing 0.5 – 1 ppm
|Contains up to 50% Cyanuric Acid, which leads to a quick build up resulting in itchy, cloudy water with shorter life. You must drain and refill more often.||Contains zero Cyanuric Acid – no build up possible; the water lasts longer|
|Strong odors occur when dichlor combines with contaminants in the water. Requires a shock treatment.||SmartChlor is self-shocking for the life of the cartridge. We recommend that you shock right before putting a new cartridge in which is about once a month. Therefore, when the SmartChlor level is declining as the old cartridge is used up you get rid of any contaminants with a shock and start, and then with a new cartridge. The result is no unpleasant odors at any time.|
How long should the SmartChlor Cartridge Last?
The amount of time a SmartChlor Cartridge will last is based on 3 things:
- The SmartChlor Cartridge dial setting, which is based on the number of gallons a hot tub holds:
- The SmartChlor Cartridge is one size.
- Whatever sanitizer you use, you’ll need more to sanitize more water, and less to sanitize less water.
- Larger hot tubs require a higher SmartChlor Cartridge dial setting, which allows the SmartChlor to dissolve faster to sanitize larger hot tubs.
- The number of people who use the hot tub:
- The more a hot tub is used, the more sanitization is needed.
- If your hot tub is used frequently, you may need to turn the SmartChlor Cartridge dial up to sanitize your hot tub. This will cause the SmartChlor Cartridge to run out faster.
- Filtration of water per day:
- The more often the water is circulated the faster the SmartChlor dissolves.
- If your hot tub has frequent filtration, you may want to turn down the SmartChlor Cartridge dial to slow down how fast the SmartChlor dissolves.
What is the average life for a SmartChlor Cartridge?
- The recommended dial setting for the SmartChlor Cartridge is based on gallons and assumes 2 people using the hot tub 2-3 times per week, with a filtration of about 4 hours per day.
- For a 400-gallon hot tub under those conditions, the SmartChlor Cartridge should last about 3-4 weeks. Larger hot tubs, more frequent use, more people using the hot tub or more filtration time require a higher dial setting and will use up the SmartChlor Cartridge faster.
How can I get the longest life possible from my SmartChlor Cartridge?
- The following guidelines should help lessen the demand on the SmartChlor and help it last longer:
- Always keep your hot tub water balanced. Click here for our easy water balance guide
- Always shower before using the hot tub
- Only rinse swimsuits, don’t use detergent – if you do, rinse extra thoroughly
- Keep hair out of the water
- Keep contaminants, from food to beverages, leaves or debris out of the hot tub
- If the hot tub is used more often, shock more often with a non-chlorine shock like FROG Maintain™
- If you use your hot tub less frequently or follow these guidelines, you may be able to turn the SmartChlor Cartridge dial setting down but REGULARLY check the SmartChlor Out Indicator on the FROG® @ease® Test Strips to ensure you have enough SmartChlor in the water to sanitize the water properly.
How to get started with FROG @ease for Bullfrog Spas
Bromine users: Drain, clean and refill the hot tub before using FROG @ease.
Dichlor users: Test your hot tub water to determine the Cyanuric Acid level:
- If it’s below 20 ppm, you can convert immediately to FROG @ease
- If it’s higher, you’ll need to drain, clean and refill the hot tub.
Now, Let’s Get Started!
Watch this video get started:
Or Follow these directions:
- Test the hot tub water with FROG @ease Test Strips and balance your Total Alkalinity, pH and Total Hardness (for help, see our water balance guidelines)
- Add FROG Jump Start® for a start-up shock
- Set the dial on the FROG @ease blue Mineral Cartridge to #4 (the dial is on the bottom of the cartridge)
- Set the FROG @ease silver SmartChlor® Cartridge per the chart: (the dial is on the bottom of the cartridge)
- Place the cartridges in the holder and insert the cartridge holder between the filter cartridges, pushing down until it stays in place
- When the SmartChlor Cartridge is empty, replace it
- After 4 months of using the Mineral Cartridge, replace the entire FROG @ease System that includes a FROG @ease Mineral Cartridge
- Shock hot tub using FROG Maintain™
Why it’s essential to use FROG® @ease® Test Strips
- A hot tub using FROG @ease does not test the same way as a hot tub using dichlor
- FROG @ease uses a unique chlorine, SmartChlor® Technology, plus minerals to maintain a consistent low chlorine level and keep your hot tub water Cleaner, Clearer and Softer®
- FROG @ease Test Strips were designed especially with an Out Indicator, a one-color match that designates when the SmartChlor Cartridge is empty. They also measure Total Alkalinity, pH, and Total Hardness levels for proper water balance
- When the FROG @ease Test Strip is lighter than the Out Indicator color block, located on the test strip bottle, it’s time to replace the SmartChlor Cartridge
- FROG Test Strips do not measure Free Chlorine
- Why? Since the Free Chlorine remains consistently at 0.5–1.0 ppm there is no need to test for it
- SmartChlor creates a reserve that converts to Free Chlorine when it senses the demand, it’s self-regulating. The reserve will start high and slowly deplete over the life of the cartridge as it converts to Free Chlorine when needed – no action required
- With standard chlorine, like dichlor, you must maintain a Free Chlorine level of 2.0 – 4.0 pm, much higher than FROG @ease, and you need to shock when the Total Chlorine level is higher than the Free Chlorine.
- With SmartChlor, Total Chlorine will always be higher than Free Chlorine until the Cartridge is empty. Total chlorine is represented by the SmartChlor reserve that is slowly used up over the life of the cartridge
Why do Your Products use Single-Use Plastics?
FROG®’s goal was and is to make water care easier for hot tub owners. Because sanitizers contain hazardous chemicals, FROG set out to create products with no measuring, no guessing and no accidental spilling.
Prefilled cartridges make replacing chemicals easy and convenient for hot tub owners, with no need to store opened containers.
FROG products are regulated by the EPA and DOT. This means FROG must meet the required standards for shipping and storage.
Currently, FROG is actively investigating how to help mitigate the plastics issue while continuing to provide all the benefits, that include not ever needing to touch, measure or store opened containers of chemicals.
Why Isn’t the Mineral Cartridge Sold Separately?
The blue Mineral Cartridge last for 4 months. After that, most people choose to drain and refill their hot tub. Therefore, we packaged the new mineral cartridge with everything you need to start up a freshly filled hot tub.
When you refill your hot tub, you’ll need to balance your hot tub water with FROG @ease Test Strips and adjust as they indicate. Then add FROG Jump-Start® to shock the water and insert your new Mineral Cartridge with a SmartChlor® Cartridge in your holder custom designed for Bullfrog Spas®.
The SmartChlor and Mineral Cartridges work together. The SmartChlor self-regulates with a low level of chlorine on demand. It needs to be replaced when depleted – the “Out Indicator” on the FROG @ease Test Strips indicates this.
The Mineral Cartridge lasts for 4 months, and then the minerals are spent (even if you feel or hear them inside.)
Our goal was to make hot tub water care easier, that’s why all the products are included in one System box. You can be assured that you’ll have what you need when you refill your hot tub.
In between, you can purchase the 3-pack of SmartChlor Cartridges.
SHARE A COMMENT