Algae is one of the most persistent forms of plant life. It can be free floating in the water, or it can cling to walls, floor and equipment. Nourished by sunlight and heat, algae thrives in water with a high pH level and water with a high nitrogen or phosphate level.
Ignoring algae is not an option. If you don’t get rid of it quickly, it gets harder to kill and remove, and can leave stains behind on pool surfaces.
Steps to eliminate algae:
- Run the pump for 24 hours continuously.
- Shock the pool; raise free available chlorine to 3-5 ppm with a chlorine shock.
- Check pH and balance to 7.2 – 7.6.
- Brush and vacuum the algae at least twice daily.
- Add FROG Leap ALL-OUT® per 15,000 gallons.
- Continue brushing and vacuuming, clean the filter to remove the dead algae from the filter media.
- When the pool returns to a clear and algae-free condition, return to normal operating mode.
Note: If algae stains are present, maintain the chlorine residual at about 2 ppm and keep brushing the stains. If they do not lighten within two weeks, contact your dealer.