Maintain the Area Around your Pool
Get landscaping done several days ahead of the party – mow the lawn, water the plants, rake the leaves if they’ve started falling.
Clean tables and chairs – a good wipe down will do. And make sure you have enough seating or lounging available.
Don’t Let Bugs Ruin Your Outdoor Oasis
Bugs can cause guests to leave a party early, so it will pay to think ahead. Bug spray may be effective, but it can wash away in the pool. Instead, consider a larger solution, one that covers the whole yard:
- Check for and remove any standing water to eliminate potential insect breeding habitats.
- Outdoor Insect Spray– These typically come in 1-gallon bottles with an attached nozzle to spray your lawn to prevent and kill insects.
- Bug Zapper– A good, old fashioned bug zapper can do wonders! Insects tend to fly toward light!
- Mosquito Lamps– These can last up to 6 hours and are seen to be very effective in fighting bugs.
- Natural Repellents– For a more natural approach, you have options. Research shows mosquito sprays that contain natural essential oils, such as rosemary, lemongrass, peppermint, and garlic can be highly effective at repelling many bugs and insects. The most popular and effective: eucalyptus, lavender and thyme essential oils.
- Have your yard treated – a professional service will take care of everything.
Don’t Forget About Sunscreen!
People can get sunburn even late in the season. Remember to apply sunscreen yourself, and also have some handy for guests – it’s easy to forget to pack sun protection.
Both children and adults alike tend to skip the water at pool parties. Children are having fun splashing around in the pool and adults may be busy sipping adult drinks – but keep water cold, handy and plentiful, hydration is important for everyone.
Have a Vast Array of Food and Snacks
The secret to a great spread is to remember to serve everything that even the pickiest eater would like, but keep everything separate and don’t mix options. Here are a few ideas:
- Something Salty – Pretzels and chips with a few different dips on the side are nearly universally liked. Offer a variety and everyone can mix and match to their own preferences.
- Something Healthy – Veggie and fruit trays tend to be very popular. Separate individual veggies and fruit in individual cups or on a tray so that even the pickiest eater can pick and choose, and excess goes unwasted.
- Something Sweet – Find a few things both kids enjoy, and parents allow them to eat. Cupcakes in chocolate and vanilla, individually wrapped fruit snacks, or one last opportunity to have a popsicle are a few ideas.
- Main Meal– Grilling lets you cook much more at once and saves you running to and from the kitchen. Plus, it lets you stay at the party all day. Or consider an easy all-around favorite – order in pizza.
Have a Few Activities Ready
- Diving sticks, floating checkers or basketball hoops are always fun
- Skip the accessories and have pool races with prizes or play Marco Polo
- Cornhole, Spike Ball or even just backyard football are also great fun
Sometimes, all that’s needed is a little encouragement – “Who wants to play?”
Speaking of play – as a Flippin’ FROG® owner, maintaining water that’s Cleaner, Clearer, Softer and Easier® to take care of will help when it comes to enjoying your pool. You’re using up to 50% less chlorine*, and FROG Sanitizing Minerals™ help keep pH balanced, absorb acids, and condition the water for softness.