Chlorine is a beast – it kills things. Discovered in the early 1800’s it’s been used in many industrial processes, to sterilize potable water and finally, used to sanitize swimming pools.
“Chlorine basically tears apart a germ, shredding its cell membrane and proteins.”1
But too much of a good thing can be, to put it simply, bad.
You may not realize you’re using too much chlorine in your pool until:
You notice swimsuits bleach out quickly
Swimmers complain about itchy skin
People in your pool have red eyes
Someone says, “I love that chlorine smell!”
Worse, your pool surfaces may become faded or pitted. While you may think that’s to be expected, that’s not true and you can avoid that.
Maintaining the right chlorine level can be tricky. Keeping the chlorine level within ideal ranges isn’t easy, and most pool owners don’t realize the huge downside of using too much or too little before they encounter trouble.
It may seem obvious, but testing your pool water regularly is always the best practice. That way you’ll know what your chlorine levels are and can make adjustments before the water becomes a problem.
Here are a few tips if you are over-chlorinating: